Welcome to the Psychology Department
The study of Psychology must focus on understanding human behaviour and interactions. It must provide an awareness of mental health issues and develop an improved understanding of psychological and behavioural aspects of personality. Understanding human behaviour allows students the opportunity to transfer skills into the workplace when managing and communicating with other individuals. Students must be encouraged to develop their own awareness of contemporary issues within society.
- Develop essential knowledge and understanding of different areas of the subject and relate each topic to others using evaluative skills and critical thinking
- Develop and demonstrate a deep appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of scientific methods, assessing where information is reliable and valid, critically evaluating the usefulness of facts and figures we are presented with in society
- Develop competence and confidence in a variety of problem-solving skills, developing resilience through practice
- Develop their interest in and enthusiasm for the subject, including developing an interest in further study and careers associated with the subject
- Understand how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy, society and policies from governments.