Working at Meden School
We know that our staff make our school a brilliant place for our students to develop. We work hard to recruit colleagues who believe in really high expectations to join our successful and happy school and we work even harder to retain them.
Our GCSE and A-Level results are above the national average and some of the best within Nottinghamshire. We are ambitious for our students and are proud of our curriculum, which supports students to learn ambitious knowledge that allows them to appreciate difference and challenges stereotypes and consider ethical dimensions in society. This combination ensures our students become well-informed young people who have the confidence and knowledge to become catalysts of change. Each subject makes a valuable contribution to the development of our students thinking, encouraging them to see the inequalities around them and ‘do something about them’!
We have a strong culture where everyone deserves disruption-free learning every minute of every lesson, which means our teachers can concentrate on teaching without classroom disruptions. We minimise staff workload through centralised detentions, no written parental reports, regular feedback and classroom feedback expectations that support teachers not to do any retrospective ‘marking’. We have a workload charter to support our commitment to staff workload.
Support staff are fundamental to our school being a great place to work and learn — we are committed in developing their skills and support dynamic working to ensure the very best colleagues work at Meden School.
If you are a dynamic professional and support our vision and values of aspiration, excellence and achieve, we would love to hear from you. Please get in touch even if we're not advertising for a role you are interested in at the moment, and you are always welcome to visit for a tour.
Don’t just take our word for it — listen to our students, parents and colleagues explaining why Meden School is the RIGHT choice to work and develop as a professional:
Why work for Meden School?
Meden School seeks to be an employer of choice, where employee engagements is at the core of what we do. Meden School aims to become a centre of educational and personal excellence for students, playing a key role at the heart of the community it serves. We have created a culture in which the highest expectations and aspirations surround all our students where they:
- Have high aspirations for themselves the school and the community
- Strive for excellence in every aspect of their school life
- Have ambition and achieve well
Our core employee rewards and benefits include:
- Team-centred approach
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme (TP/LGPS)
- Family friendly leave, pay and working arrangements
- Relevant learning and development opportunities
- Regular feedback
- Private health care scheme
- Free onsite carpark
The school supports employees in continuous professional Learning (CPL) — the aim is to raise the skill levels of all our staff to create a highly motivated and skilled workforce.
What makes us different?
Everyone counts: Meden School is a workplace where everyone matters; students, parents, governors and staff. We have colleagues who go the extra mile to ensure our students achieve incredible things whatever their background or starting point.
Culture code: we have developed a ‘culture code’ that supports our expectation that everyone is treated in a kind and polite manner and where our students take responsibility for their actions. The culture code supports our approach where everyone deserves disruption-free learning every minute of every lesson which means our teachers can concentrate on teaching without classroom disruptions.
Curriculum for life: our curriculum supports our students to forge a successful life during and beyond their school life at Meden. Our curriculum for life approach ensures that we expose our students to the ambitious knowledge that develops our students' thinking and encourages them to see the inequalities around them and ‘do something about them’! Click here for curriculum.
Employee engagement at the core: At Meden, we care for our employees, and we believe that employee engagement is the catalyst for improving our outcomes. We are committed to making Meden the best possible place to work and develop and our People and Employee Engagement Plan, alongside our Employee Engagement working group, support this aim. We use Gallup’s 12 Questions of Employee Engagement throughout the year, to see how effective our working culture is. We want all our colleagues at Meden to truly believe the following:
- I know what is expected of me at work.
- I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right.
- At work, I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day.
- In the last seven days, I have received recognition or praise for doing good work.
- My supervisor, or someone at work, seems to care about me as a person.
- There is someone at work who encourages my development.
- At work, my opinions seem to count.
- The mission or purpose of my school makes me feel my job is important.
- My associates or fellow employees are committed to doing quality work.
- I have a friend at work.
- In the last six months, someone at work has talked to me about my progress.
- This last year, I have had opportunities at work to learn and grow.
Importance of employee engagement
What are we looking for at Meden?
- Share and uphold our mission of aspirations, excellence, achieve
- Have the belief that every student is capable anything
- Go the extra mile for our students and their families
- Demonstrate a commitment and desire to continually improve
- Can inspire our students to be the very best versions of themselves
- Are team players and are supportive of their colleagues
What we offer all our employees
The school offers competitive working conditions and packages, including:
- A team approach
- Westfield Healthcare Plan
- A laptop
- Free on-site parking
- A sensible approach to marking and feedback (no retrospective marking)
- A school meeting calendar that privies year team and faculty meeting time
- A strong school culture
- A centralised approach to student care and detentions
- A knowledge-rich curriculum
- Dynamic and flexible working
- A sensible approach to emails, with no work emails sent after 6:00pm, at the weekend or during the Christmas, Easter and Summer breaks
- A strong stance on staff CPL, with a real focus on staff subject knowledge, culture and curriculum
- Access to the Caboodle benefit programme that includes:
- Instant Discounts
- Lifestyle Benefits
- Bike Scheme
- Car Scheme
- Technology Scheme
- Gym Scheme
- Liftshare Scheme
- Savings Club
- Workplace ISAs
- Financial Planning
- Reward & Recognition
- Health Cash Plan through BHSF
If there are no current vacancies matching your experience, or if you are interested in roles that may become available in the future, we would love to hear from you. Please send us your details via our contact form.
Teacher training opportunities
Looking for a career in teaching? Visit the Nottinghamshire Torch SCITT website for more information about training opportunities.
Meden School and the Nova Education Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and we expect all staff, partners and volunteers to share this commitment. All staff are recruited under our safer recruitment processes, in line with DfE requirements, which includes DBS checks. We have a suite of safeguarding procedures, policies and guidance for all of our staff and volunteers to ensure we actively promote children and young people's welfare and safety.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
We are also committed to equality of opportunity in employment and it is our policy to promote equal opportunities in employment, regardless of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, creed, disability, sex, age, marital status or sexual orientation. This applies to recruitment and selection practices, training, promotion and in the application of national and local agreements in respect of pay and conditions of service.