Welcome to the Business Department
There are a wide range of Business Studies courses and Enterprise opportunities offered to students at Meden School. In addition to these courses, the Business department have established links with Nottingham Trent University, the Mansfield Learning Partnership and a number of local businesses.
Business Studies is taught by Mrs Knight and Mr Hamer. It is offered in KS4 (Year 9 onwards) and KS5 (Year 12 onwards).
At KS4, Students study the OCR GCSE Business Studies course. They identify how businesses like Diesel and Tesco market and promote themselves, how they motivate their workers and how they ensure they make large profits.
Students are assessed at the end of Year 11. There are two examinations:
- Business & people ( 35%)
- Production, Finance & The external environment ( 50%) - this examination is based on a pre release case study
- Controlled Assessment (25%)
In Key Stage 5, students can choose AQA AS and A2 Business courses. Areas studied include:
- Manager, Leaders & decision making
- Human Resources and the psychology of motivating workers
- Operational performance and how businesses like Peugeot manage production
- Financial Performance
Students are assessed over the two year course via terminal examinations. The A level comprises 3 papers, which draw upon theory from both Year 12 and Year 13. Each paper is worth 33.3%
Links with industry are encouraged in the department and at Meden students have opportunities to attend Business conferences at Universities and participate in Business and Enterprise related activities.
EnRICHMENT at Meden
At KS5, students have he opportunity to visit the Bank of England and see how the Bank has a key role in maintaining Monetary and Financial Stability.
- Business Studies Entrepreneurs – Bath Bombs Away
GCSE Business Students reach new highs (10/07/2013)
- Business Studies Young Enterprise Winners
Business Studies students have won another award in the Young Enterprise competition (01/05/2013)
- Year 9 Business Stock Market Winners
Year 9 GCSE Business students are celebrating finishing in the top eighteen of a national competion (01/05/2013)
- Meden Business Students Meet Apprentice Star
Business students meet entrepreneur Karren Brady. (28/01/2013)