In a recent Quality Assurance of the faculty students had this to say about our Science Faculty:
- “Science staff are enthusiastic about their subject.”
- “Science staff encourage everyone to take part in lessons.”
- “High standards of behaviour are expected.”
- “Members of the faculty are approachable and want us to achieve.”
- “We are encouraged to have a go.”
Key Stage 3
Students follow an in house scheme of work in years 7-8 and are taught in ability groupings. We encourage an investigation led, skills based approach to learning and seek to secure ambitious rates of progress for students in our lessons. The key stage 3 science curriculum has been written to provide the essential content and skills required to succeed at GCSE, as well developing skills that are essential in all aspects of life, such as logical thinking and problem solving.
Homework is based on the need to learn content and so students will be given topic knowledge organisers with the expectation that time is spent outside of the lesson committing the information to memory. Mini-tests in lessons will be used to assess whether students are using their homework time correctly.
Key Stage 4
Students are set according to ability at the start of year 9; top set will follow the AQA separate science specifications resulting in a GCSE in Biology, Chemistry and Physics in year 11, all other sets will follow the AQA Trilogy specification which is a dual award course resulting in two GCSE science grades at the end of year 11.
Homework is based on the need to learn content and so students will be given topic knowledge organisers with the expectation that time is spent outside of the lesson committing the information to memory. Mini-tests will be used once a week to assess whether students are using their homework time correctly.
Students will also be set online revision tasks using the website senecalearning.com. Each student will receive a class code which will enable them to access the specific tasks assigned to them on a weekly basis.
Key Stage 5
Students can study Biology, Chemistry or Physics (we use AQA for these subjects) at Meden College.
- AQA GCSE Trilogy Specification [UK/SUBJECTS/SCIENCE/GCSE/COMBINED-SCIENCE-TRILOGY-8464]
- AQA GCSE Biology Specification [UK/SUBJECTS/SCIENCE/GCSE/BIOLOGY-8461]
- AQA GCSE Chemistry Specification [UK/SUBJECTS/SCIENCE/GCSE/CHEMISTRY-8462]
- AQA GCSE Physics Specification [UK/SUBJECTS/SCIENCE/GCSE/PHYSICS-8463]
- No News Stories