We follow the AQA GCSE in Performing Arts (Single Award) specification, taught in 2 50-minute lessons per week over Years 9, 10 and 11.
There are two units:
- Unit 1: Portfolio Evidence
- Assesses Skills Development, Knowledge and Understanding. It is internally assessed and worth 60% of the full GCSE. View the assessment criteria [PDF - 124Kb].
- Unit 2: Showcase Performance
- In response to briefs set by AQA in November of Year 11. It is externally assessed and worth 40% of the full GCSE. View the assessment criteria [PDF - 111Kb].
Over the GCSE course, students will complete the following skills development units:
- Acting Workshop
- Lighting Workshop
- Performance Workshop
- Professional Practice Folder
- Response to Exam Brief
During the course, students will learn through practical experimentation and exploration. All our candidates are taught techniques based on industry practice and it is our aim that students emerge fully skilled in a range of theatre disciplines. The course culminates with students producing a high quality piece of theatre applying the skills they have learnt to ensure success in their exam.
GCSE Coursework Booklets
- Section A: Acting Workshop (updated for 2014) [DOCX]
- Section B: Lighting Workshop (updated for 2014) [DOCX]
- Section D: Performance Workshop (updated for 2014) [DOCX]
- Section E: Exam Performance Coursework (updated for 2014) [DOCX]
- Section F: Professional Practice Folder (new for 2014) [DOCX]
- Health and Safety Charts for all areas (new for 2012) [DOC]
- Class Performance Evaluation Document [DOC]
- Exam Performance Evaluation Guidance [PDF]
Performing Arts News
- Drama Update
A Performing Arts Round Up (19/04/2016)
- National Theatre Connections Performance: "Eclipse"
Intangible Inc perform their version of Simon Armitage's play "Eclipse" (23/02/2016)
Half term Rehearsal (11/01/2016)
- "Eclipse" National Theatre Connections
Key Rehearsal Dates for National Theatre Connections: "Eclipse" (11/01/2016)
- Year 11 Intervention
Half term intervention on Tuesday the 27th of October for year 11 Drama students. (23/10/2015)